Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Ocean Plait Rope Door Mat

This is a rope door mat I made from a very simple knot called an ocean plait.  This knot can be found in most books that cover decorative knots, as well as many sources on the web.  A really good description can be found on a web chart available from the International Guild of Knot Tyers.  It starts from an overhand knot where you make two bights where the knot crosses, and then twist the bights.  From there you feed through the two tails.  I had to make the knot very large to start and then spent substantial time snugging it down.  The final mat measures about 18 inches x 30 inches, perhaps a bit small for a door mat, but functional nonetheless.  I used 100 feet of 1/2" diameter sisal rope for this project.  I would suggest putting some kind of non-slip on the bottom of the mat as is slides around on my wood floors.
**For a larger and more rectangular mat, please feel free to visit this post. Thanks**

No comments:

Blog Archive