Monday, October 8, 2012

Pick and Awl


Next to perma-lock needles, I'd say the knot tying tool that I use the most is an ice pick. Picks are helpful in pulling out strands when tightening a knot like a turks heads. They are used to to work in some space between two strands to insert a needle for pulling an additional strand through a knot. I use the awl above less frequently than my ice pick, but I find that the tapered shaft can be useful for working in space between two strands. It's also a little more stout that the ice pick and can be useful if the cord is stiff or a knot is really tight. At the base of the shaft is tied 4 bight turks head. Over the balance of the handle and partially covering the turks head is a pineapple knot with a 6 bight turks head base.  Take your time if you try something like this. I was little rushed, and you can see some gaps in the knot at the widest part of the handle. I included a picture of my ice pick- Do note that only some of the knot work on that handle is mine. My father did the original covering. I put the two bight turks head and the 4 lead by 3 bight turks head on the base of the pick. The two bight turks head is especially helpful for gripping the pick.

2 comments:

smet337 said...

Very cool Ethan,Love to check up on you,always excited to see a new post.Both picks are perfect!!Love the color scheme on them.Nice idea adding the turk to the shaft.Could see where it would add to a better grip.Thanks and have a great day Scot

curchin said...

I appreciate the kind words, Scot- Thanks for stopping by!

Blog Archive