Thursday, November 1, 2012

Grommet with Tutorial

This is a grommet I recently tied around a steel ring.  I've always wanted to tie a rope wreath, and this is essentially a "mini-prototype" tied with waste string from my last project.  The Ashley Book of Knots has a few methods shown for tying grommets, but they are somewhat difficult to follow- I decided to attempt to draw my own version which is shown to the side (double click to enlarge).  Tying in two colors makes it a little easier to see what you are doing. It is also important to keep in mind that due to the structure of the knot (which is very similar to a two bight turks head), the knot will be tighter on the inside of the ring compared to the outside of the ring and you need to plan accordingly. I have some rope on order, so keep an eye out for the full sized version.

5 comments:

Stormdrane said...

Very nice, thanks for sharing! :)

smet337 said...

Very cool!!Must be nice to have auto cad to do those.Like the drawing to help us.Have a great day Scot

Jonathan Andrews said...

Excellent work

E Hess said...

Great directions!! – It took a few times but got it down. I have done three of them and they look great! Thanks for sharing…..

curchin said...

Glad you got it! Tie on.

Blog Archive